Why do we resist change?
So you resist change? Welcome to the human race!
When you resist change you have three choices.
- Become one of the obstacles and block progress,
- Go with the flow and become a contributor,
- Or get out the way.
When I worked for a growing company - it was expanding. And I, in my resistance was becoming one of the obstacles to growth...
...How do you know you are resisting change?
Some signs of resistance are:
- Over- sleeping,
- An increase in bad habits like watching TV for too long or drinking alcohol,
- Repeating the same conversations or story,
- Reccurring mistakes,
- Use of generalized words like 'always', 'never',
Does this sound only too familiar? Then there's a good chance you're in 'resist change' mode.
I was complaining, blaming, gossiping and doing a whole lot of crying. Above all...I felt exhausted. I was experiencing symptoms of burn out. At the time, I believed the causes were external but it was my attitude and resistance to change that was affecting my health.
How do you let go of resistance?
How do you let go of the resistance? How do you plant the seeds of change?
- Develop faith and trust in something bigger than yourself. If you trust everything has meaning, it becomes easier to go with the flow.
- Tell yourself the truth about what you want. Look carefully at what you're doing – or not doing – that requires a shift and tell people around you the truth.
- Allow yourself to feel and understand all your emotions. The cycle of change includes uncomfortable emotions like anger, sadness, shock and fear. Remember, a warrior is not someone who has no fear. A warrior is someone who feels the fear and moves forward despite the fear. So become okay with what you're experiencing - without shifting away from it.
- Take yoga meditation or relaxation classes to help your mind let go of the attachments to the old.
- Ask yourself what you're afraid of losing, when you let change happen. There are payoffs to your habits and addictions. Even the habits that hurt you. An example might be the social bonding experienced from social drinking or sharing a joint. Is it the belonging and connection you believe you receive from the sharing ritual? The payoffs are beliefs that drive you to resist change.
- Become aware of the gifts that changes can bring. Even traumatic change.
- Take charge of your change by making conscious decisions.Making a decision will clear the confusion and release you from paralysis.
- Stay aware. Notice yourself. Pay attention to what is happening around you, and more importantly inside you.
- Once you've made a decision, create a vision of where you want to go, then put your action plan together.
- If you need to change a habit, and you resist change - start with changing the way you think.
- Take the 21/40 day challenge.
- Build your inner strength
Jo Hazelhurst, Copyright 2007
Do you want to know how to move yourself through what you're feeling? Go to building new emotion.
Return from Resist Change to Kalavati Homepage
You deserve to thrive. If you can conceive it, it can become. So much love in building that place of happiness inside you.
Make yourself at home
Return to Life Coaching Tips
Return to Personal Development
Return to Jo's Blog "Personal-Reflections"
Go to Kalavati Homepage
PS. Join the Kalavati Online Life Change & Relationship Coaching Cafe.
You'll receive a one year membership, access to the Online FreshStart Bootcamp & The 12 Week Project, you'll join the Facebook community where you can interact with fellow creatives.
It's fun, it's intense, it's an internal adventure with the bonus of much a connecting with spiritually minded creatives & entrepreneurs.